Friday, May 10, 2013

Beef Stew - Crockpot

My husband likes beef stew.  He's usually the one that makes it as I'm not a huge fan.  I figured I'd give it a go this time.  Here's what I remember doing:

  • 2 lbs grass-fed beef stew meat
  • 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced to your liking (not a fan of carrots, so I prefer thinly sliced)
  • 2 large sweet onions, diced
  • 1-2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced to your desired thickness
  • 1 jar of mild organic salsa (check ingredients for sneaky bad stuff). Hubby made it last time with medium salsa.  That's what we add to our scramletes.  It made the stew way too spicy for me.  Hubby likes spice, but agreed that mild would probably be better for the stew.
  • We forgot to thaw the meat ahead of time.  It didn't get moved to the fridge from the freezer until the night prior, so it was still solid as a rock the next morning.  I stuck it in the crockpot as-is.
  • Dumped the salsa over the beef.
  • Set the crockpot on high.
  • Chopped up the onions and potatoes and added them.  Forgot about the carrots.  They went in about 3 hours later.
  • Started gathering everything and adding the ingredients as they were ready to the crockpot around 1:30 pm with it set to high.  Carrots went in around 4:30.  I think I turned it to low around 5:30.  Then remembered it was still cooking at 8:30 so shut it off.  I work from home now, so I was able to stir it periodically.
  • We netted 6 2 cup pyrex bowls full of stew.  BTW, we love our 2 cup pyrex bowls.  They are the perfect serving size for lunch.  Once cooled enough, they go in the fridge over night.  In the morning, I put a 3 in the freezer and the other 3 remained in the fridge for hubby's lunch for the rest of this week.
  • You can add more of these veggies or other veggies so you yield more.
  • My attempt was a huge success! Got a text from hubby after his lunch "lunch was tasty. yooz a good cook."  LOL :)  I hope you enjoy it, too!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I'll be on the lookout for stew meat now, heh. =)
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete