Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Livers

  • Happy Belated Birthday to my baby brother.  He turned 23 on the 19th.
  • This recipe comes from Jan's Sushi Bar blog, click here.
  • Jan intended them as appetizers. I plan on eating a couple each morning for breakfast with a medium boiled egg.
  • 12 chicken livers, cleaned and cut in half (mine came in big hunks so I cut them to a bunch of tiny pieces)
    12 slices thick-cut bacon
    1/4 cup BBQ sauce
    Preheat the oven to 350F.
    Slice the bacon slices in half, and wrap on half around each piece of chicken liver. Secure with a toothpick.
    Line a shallow, rimmed baking sheet with foil and place the bacon-wrapped on it, bout an inch apart. Lightly brush with about half of the barbecue sauce.
    Bake for about 20 minutes or until the chicken livers are just cooked through and the bacon is becoming crisp, turning the livers and basting them with the remaining barbecue sauce about halfway through.
    Remove from the oven, arrange neatly on a platter and serve immediately.

    Jan's serves 12.  I got 23 before giving a couple bites to the dogs.

5 comments:

  1. mmmmm... delicious. I wonder how this would taste with slices of beef liver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little nervous about any kind of liver. Haven't tried it in 20+ years but was NOT a fan back then. Who knows, tastes change over time. It does look phenomenal though and anything with bacon can't be bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not cooked a lot of liver but Mom used to cook it all the time when I was a kid and I really liked it. I've heard the trick is to soak the liver in milk before cooking and to never overcook liver. I've not had good luck finding grassfed liver though but when I do I'll be cooking some up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to give chicken livers a try..but I am scared! I have never tried them before and I just keep picturing that they will taste so gamey like lamb does to my taste buds. Does cooking it in this method help w/ the flavor? Thanks! Great start to your blog Tiny Serenity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely! I'm not a fan of the texture or flavor, but I've found that I can tolerate and even like them when added in dishes. The first time I tried it was without the BBQ sauce and ended up putting some mustard on it to make it edible (to me). I think the BBQ sauce was just the trick as I actually enjoyed it. We've also put it in pizza chili/soup and it was good. :)

    ReplyDelete